sweets for every tooth.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Candy Cookies

Still have leftover Halloween candy?  I do.  Because the office manager at my work decided to order multiple shipments, yes, multiple shipments, of candy from Amazon and pour all that candy into a giant pumpkin bowl and set it smack dab in the middle of the office.  I realize it is now November 10, but the candy is not even half gone.

So I decided that, for the good of the people I work with, I needed to do more to make this candy disappear.  I took my three favorite candies from the bowl (snickers, m&m's, butterfingers) and made cookies.  Candy cookies are the best, especially ones that have a mix of candy because you never know what you're going to get in each bite.  It's like snickers surprise up in here, especially since the cookies deceivingly look like they're just your run-of-the-mill M&M cookies.

And the kicker is, I did this all the old school way, because my office kitchen is not quite as well equipped as my apartment kitchen.  Yes I had measuring cups, but my only form of power was my right arm, whisking and stirring away.  Okay, so I didn't have to churn milk to make butter, but still, it's been a while since I've baked without my KitchenAid.  This took me back to the days of baking in my first apartment, before I even had a hand mixer.

Here's what you'll need:

1 1/3 Cups Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Egg
2 Cups Candy - I used 6 fun size snickers (chopped), 4 fun size butterfingers (also chopped), and 6 fun size packets of M&Ms


1. Preheat oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease two large cookie sheets.


2. Beat butter and sugar in mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add in egg and vanilla and beat an additional minute.  (Or if you don't have a mixer, roll up your sleeves and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.)  Sift in flour, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined.  (Or if you don't have a sieve and mixer, just dump the dry stuff in stir away.)  Stir in candy.


3.  Drop by Tablespoon-full onto prepared cookie sheets.  Bake at 375 for 12 minutes, until edges of cookies are browned.  Remove from oven, let cookies sit on sheet for one minute, then transfer cookies to cooling rack.  Now guess what candy you'll get in each bite.

Makes about 18 pretty big cookies.


I just realized that the only staple candy missing from our pumpkin bowl is candy corn.  I had no candy corn this Halloween.  Tragedy.


Print Page

No comments: