sweets for every tooth.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Power Bake


I've been on this health kick lately. Think it started with the realization of my unhealthy kick when I threw out my back. So I've pretty much been eating kale for the last two weeks. (It's delicious, by the way, sauteed with a little olive oil, garlic and black pepper.) Somehow I let this healthiness sneak over into my baking, so I present to you: Carrot Cake Protein Muffins!

A ridiculously athletic friend of mine sent me this recipe for "Oh Baby!" Carrot Cake Protein Bars, which he acquired from fitness guru Rob Riches. I altered the ingredients just a bit (because I didn't have Splenda, oat flour, or ricotta cheese) and made it in muffin form instead of cake. The ultimate verdict? A delectably filling and energizing bit of carrot cake perfect for a pick-me-up protein punch anytime! My recipe is below, with original recipe details in parenthesis. Here's what you'll need:


1 Cup Organic Whole Wheat Flour
(or 1 Cup Oat Flour aka ground oatmeal)
2 Scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
(sold in individual packets in vitamin aisle of supermarket, if you don't want to buy a whole tub of powder)
2 heaping teaspoons Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon Allspice (or a little less to taste)
3 Egg Whites
1/2 Cup Sugar
(or 3/4 Cup Splenda)
1/2 Cup Fat Free Plain Yogurt
(or 1/2 Cup Fat Free Ricotta Cheese, or 1 baby food jar of carrot or any fruit flavor)
10 oz. Carrots
(original recipe said 8oz jarred, but I like fresh ingredients, so used actual carrots that I steamed and mashed-see below)
Optional: 1 Cup Quick Cooking Oats (for added carbs and energy)

1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cups, or spray an 8x8 dish with non-stick butter spray.

2. Steam 10oz carrots until very soft. Transfer to food processor and blend until mashed. Carrots can be mashed by hand as well if you don't have a food processor.

3. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (except quick cooking oats) and mix well. Fold in quic cooking oats (optional) and mix until just combined.

4. Divide batter into 12 muffin cups, or pour all batter into 8x8 dish. For muffins: Bake at 350 for 22-24 minutes. For cake: Bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted in center comes out clean.


The nutrition facts for the original cake recipe are as follows:

1 Cake=8 Servings
94 Calories per serving (132 with quick oats)
1.25g Fat (2g with oats)
10g Carbs (17g with oats)
10g Protein (11g with oats)

I don't know what it is for my muffins, and I don't really feel like figuring it out. It's probably pretty similar since my servings are smaller but I used real sugar instead of Splenda.

All I have to say is...

Yummm!

No comments: