sweets for every tooth.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pinterest and Pumpkins

So I realized I haven't posted in three months.  Apparently I have run out of time and money to bake things all the time.  Don't you worry, I will continue baking things and posting about them (coming up I'm baking for a birthday Friday, a film Saturday, and an engagement party the following week), however I think I'm going to turn this blog into more of my very own pinterest board.  Because I refuse to join actual Pinterest.  Because if I joined I guarantee you I would get zero things done with my day.  That way I'll actually post things even when I don't have time to bake things.  So I will be finding things I want to bake, or think you should bake, and putting them up here, along with ways I think those recipes could be altered, and the occasional witty commentary on said recipes.

For now, here is a cake I forgot to post during the holidays.  Pumpkin Dump Cake.  File it away for next Thanksgiving or Christmas, unless you like eating pumpkin desserts year round.  And for that I would not blame you.

The only photo I took.  We ate it too quickly/I was baking
a million things so forgot to take out my camera in the kitchen.
Excuses, excuses, I know.
Who wants to start a petition to change the name of dump cakes?

I get that it's called that because you just dump all the ingredients in, but I think it makes the whole dish sound very unappetizing, when in fact it's very delicious.  Thank you Cookies and Cups for the introduction to this lovely dish.  I've listed recipes for both a 9x13" and 8x8" version, depending on how hungry you are.  You're basically halving the recipe, but not quite for all the ingredients, so I listed it so you don't worry.  I've baked both versions.  They both work.  Promise.

Here's what you'll need:

The 9"x13"

15 oz Pumpkin Puree
10oz Evaporated Milk
1 C Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
3 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (or a mix of cinnamon, ginger, )
1 box yellow cake mix
1 Cup unsalted butter, melted
1 Cup coarsely crushed graham crackers
1/2 Cup Toffee bits

1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray a 9x13 pan lightly with cooking spray.  

2. Combine pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs and spices in a bowl and mix until well combined.  Pour into prepared pan.  Sprinkly entire box of cake mix on top, followed by graham crackers and toffee chips.  Pour melted butter evenly on top.  

3. Bake 45-50 minutes until center is set and edges are lightly browned.

The 8"x8"

8 oz Pumpkin Puree
5 oz Evaporate Milk
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 box yellow cake mix
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1/2 Cup coarsely crushed Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/4 Cup Toffee Bits

1. Follow all the directions listed above.

Print PagePrint Page

No comments: