sweets for every tooth.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Waffles sans Bisquick

If you can't tell by now, I like to bake from scratch.  But one thing I have never done from scratch is waffles and pancakes.  Bisquick is just so easy!  And when I'm in my gluten free mode, Bob's Red Mill has an amazing gluten free mix as well!  But you know what happened tonight?  We had a breakfast for dinner potluck, and I said I'd make the waffles.  Low and behold, I was all out of mix.  So I made 'em from scratch.  And I now have no idea why I haven't done this before because it is ridiculously easy.


Here's what you'll need:

1 1/2 Cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Eggs, separated
1 Cup Milk (any kind, I used Almond since I'm a no-dairy queen)
1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract


1. Preheat your waffle iron.


2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.  In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.  Add to flour mixture and stir until well combined.  (Batter will be stiff.)  In a small bowl, whip egg whites until peaks form, about two minutes.  Gently fold egg whites into batter.*


3. Scoop some batter onto your waffle iron and cook.  My waffle iron makes 6-inch waffles and this recipe made 5 waffles, so you'll probably make somewhere from 4-6 waffles, too.

*If you don't want to go to the effort of whipping the egg whites, you can stir the eggs in whole, but you'll end up with a much more dense waffle.

The dry ingredients.

The wet ingredients.

Put 'em together.

Whip up some whites and fold 'em in.

Pour batter on iron.



Print Page

No comments: