sweets for every tooth.

Monday, October 3, 2011

October Unprocessed

As linked in my previous post, over at the Eating Rules blog there's a little challenge by Andrew Wilder to not eat any processed foods during the month of October.

I'm gonna do it.  But in order to do it, I definitely am going to need to chronicle the attempt (and my failures) so get ready to read all about it.

Success 1: Bacon Chard Fusilli.  Andrew posted this recipe and I jumped right on it.  I modified it a bit, because I didn't want to buy raw milk, nor do I drink/eat much dairy anyway, and it still turned out delicious.

Failure 1: Chocolate Fudge Frosting.  Got an order for a cake today and I just can't resist licking the beaters once I whip up a fresh batch of frosting.  Ok yes I did make it from scratch, so it's not as bad as taking a spoonful out of a can of high fructose corn syrup, but still it's not unprocessed, because chocolate and sugar are both processed.  And this frosting uses a lot of chocolate and sugar.

Here's a taste of both the success and the failure:

Bacon Chard Fusilli

1. Cook 16oz Fusilli (or other type) Pasta (whole wheat or brown rice pasta with no additives) according to package.  Drain and set aside.

2. Dice 8 Slices All-Natural Bacon (remember, we're going for unprocessed) and saute in a large skillet until crispy.  Scoop out with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving grease in pan.

3. Dice 1 Whole Purple Onion and add to pan with bacon grease.  Saute until carmelized.  Chop 1 Bunch Swiss Chard and add to pan, cooking until wilted.  Add cooked bacon and pasta to pan.  Add 3 Tbs Butter and 1 tsp Salt.  Stir it all up and serve immediately.

Makes great leftovers for lunch on the deck at work, too.

Chocolate Fudge Frosting
recipe

omg yum

Good thing there was barely any left over, I don't feel too guilty.

Print Page

No comments: