sweets for every tooth.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Let's see if this works.

Two things about this baking endeavor:

1.  I can't find my loaf pan.  I looked everywhere.  I even looked in my car because sometimes I leave dirty dishes in there because I essentially live in my car and I often can't carry everything in all at once at the end of the week and after I take the first load in I'm too tired to go back for more.  No luck.  So if you see her, please let me know; she's grey, measures a shapely 9x5," and has padded handles.  I love her and miss her. So I made this bread in an 8x8" casserole pan instead of a loaf pan, so it's sort of more of a banana bread coffee cake than a banana bread loaf of bread.

2.  This bread is not only dairy free (to accommodate my allergic-to-life roommate) but also gluten free (to accommodate my latest silly food fetish).  I will be the first to say that this is a dangerous combination for baking.  I may as well say, "Hey, let's make some sweets with no sugar!"  Take out the eggs and you lose the light, airiness of the bread.  Take out the gluten and you lose the soft, fluffiness of the bread.  So this is definitely an experiment.

But all that aside, let's get baking!  Seriously, how bad can a banana bread with no loaf pan, no dairy and no gluten turn out?


Here's what you'll need:

1 Cup and 2 Tbs Sugar
Egg Substitute equivalent to 2 Eggs (each brand is different, read the packaging)
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
3 Large over-ripe, mashed up Bananas
2 Tbs Soy Milk (Almond Milk is fine as well)
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 2/3 Cups Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/4 tsp Corn Starch (or 1 tsp Xanthan Gum)

1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease 8x8" pan with cooking spray.


2. Prepare egg substitute according to packaging.  Combine egg substitute and sugar and mix on medium speed for 1 minute.  With mixer still on, drizzle in oil.  Add bananas, soy milk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.  Sift in dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and corn starch.  Gently fold in with spatula until just combined.


3. Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake at 350 for 50 minutes, or until knife or toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean.  (If you're baking in a loaf pan, bake at 350 for approximately an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes.)



Sooo, how did this no loaf pan, no dairy, no gluten, no dairy bread turn out?  Um, AMAZING.  I think I might stick with the gluten free kick a little longer.  Dryness?  Not here.  Graininess?  Not here.  Deliciousness?  Here.  Proof:


Here's to feeling good and still eating baked goods!

Print Page

No comments: