sweets for every tooth.

Friday, August 19, 2011

And now the Neiman Way

So that $250 cookie recipe I made the other day was pretty fantastic.  But after I tried it the Neiman way (aka the recipe Neiman Marcus has posted on their website), I must say, I think we have a new winner.  Neiman's recipe is a lot more straight forward; no blending of the oatmeal or grating of the chocolate.  And the addition of the espresso powder to the batter?  Let me put it this way:

I am never making chocolate chip cookies without espresso powder ever again.  Ever.

Coffee has this brilliant way of bringing out the richness of chocolate, and I never make a chocolate cake without adding a little coffee or espresso powder.  Never done it in a cookie before, though, and now, I'm never turning back.



Here's what you'll need:

1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 C Light Brown Sugar
3 Tbs Sugar
1 Egg
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 C Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Instant Espresso Coffee Powder
1 1/2 C Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips


1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease two large cookie sheets.


2. Cream butter with sugars until fluffy.  Beat in the egg and vanilla extract for 30 seconds.


3. In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, powder, soda and salt.  Beat into the butter mixture along with coffee powder.  Stir in chocolate chips.


4. Drop cookie dough by 2 Tbs-full onto prepared cookie sheet about 3 inches apart.  Gently press down on the dough to spread out into a 2 inch circle.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are brown.  (I had to bake these 25 minutes.  Yes, my oven is a piece of work, but they were really underdone.  I think this is due to the low oven temp, so trust your judgement with the baking time.  They do come out soft, so may look a little underdone, but don't worry, they won't dry out if you over-bake a bit.)


5. Allow to cool on sheets for 2 minutes before transferring cookies to cooling racks.  Makes 24 cookies.


My only complaint?  These cookies are really soft.  I think next time, I'll up the temp just a bit so they get a little crispy on the edges.



PS I'll be disappointed if you don't lick the bowl on this one.

Print Page

No comments: