sweets for every tooth.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Amazingness

I rarely get sick, but last week, I did.  The flu.  Not the stomach flu, but the achy-fevery-I-don't-want-to-do-anything flu.  But what did I do instead of listening to that "I don't want to do anything" feeling?  That's right.  I baked.  Those delicious Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cakies below, and these awesome little (well, big, actually) oatmeal chocolate chip cookies adapted from my great-great Aunt Lora's oatmeal cookie recipe.  They're phenomenal.  With an "F."  Don't ask.  This is another of my most-requested goodies, and another that has resulted in marriage proposals.  Yet I'm still single...



Here's what you'll need:

3/4 Cup White Sugar
1 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
2 Eggs, beaten
2 Cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Shredded Coconut
3 Cups Old Fashioned Oatmeal
1 12 oz bag Mini Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.


2. Blend sugars and butter.  Add in eggs and vanilla and mix until well blended.  Sift together flour, salt, soda and powder and add to first mixture, blending well.  Stir in oatmeal, coconut and chocolate chips.  Dough will be very stiff.


3. Drop dough by the tablespoonfull on large cookie sheets.  Flatten ever so slightly.  **Tip** For  thicker cookies, pop the cookie sheets full of dough into the freezer for a few minutes.  Freezing before baking prevents cookies from spreading out as much as usual.  I love doing this with this particular cookie.


4. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes, until edges are slightly browned.  It's easy to overbake these cookies, so don't worry if they look like they need a little more time.  They don't.  Allow to cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to cooling racks.


5. Pour a large glass of milk.  You know what to do from here.

No comments: