sweets for every tooth.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

So I like blueberries

Blueberry cake went over smashingly well last time.  But I was left wanting more...a bit of a different texture mixed in with the goodness of the cake.  So I'm making it again, this time with an oatmeal topping.  Oh, and I also made it into mufins as well.  Talk about a kick-a** blueberry muffin!  This thing packs more punch than your ordinary blueberry muffin.  It's a much denser consistency than your usual muffin, and packs a bigger, richer, moister punch than any blueberry muffin I've had.



As a reminder, here's what you'll need for the cake:

2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
¾ cup Brown Sugar

½ cup Granulated Sugar
3 Eggs
1 Cup Milk
(whatever you've got, I like to pretend I'm healthy and used skim)
1 Cup Blueberries
(or more if you're game, preferably fresh, if frozen don't defrost prior to use)

And for the topping:

1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/2 Cup Blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 13x9 inch pan, or line muffin tins.  I'd say this will make at least 24 muffins, I just made a few along with my cake.

2. Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs and mix.  Add flour, baking powder, salt and mix.  Slowly add milk and mix.  Fold in 1 cup blueberries.

3. In separate bowl, combine all topping ingredients, mixing gently.

4. Pour batter into pan.  If making muffins, fill cups half full.  Sprinkle topping over batter, gently pressing into cake so it adheres and doesn't shake off after baking.

5. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes, until knife or toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.  Bake time is the same for cake and muffins.

Crispity crunchity goodness on top of an amazing cake.  I recommend having a tall glass of milk on hand.

No comments: